Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Guilt for Making Others Feeling Guilty

Over the weekend, one of my 7 outside cats got under our Pacifica as Jason pulled out to go to the gym. Unforth, Jason hit him and the cat ran into the woods. Jason didn't think much of it, since the cat made a mad dash for the woods. He looked around for a while, then went to the gym as I napped. When he came home, he told me what happened. I got worried when this usually food- motivated cat didn't come home for dinner, breakfast the next day, or the following meal. By Sunday night, I knew something was extremely wrong.

I was very angry with Jason for not telling me right away when it happened. Even though we weren't sure of the cat's fate, I made him feel extremely bad for not telling me sooner.

By Monday, I decided to make some fliers to spread around the neighborhood. Shelly at work made me feel a little more hopeful telling me the story of running over her Sam with an SUV and the tire landing on top of him. She had actually gotten out of her car before realizing that her tire was right on top of her cat. He's like 20 years old now. So I felt that maybe Four Socks was still out there.

My hope was crushed last evening when I saw a freshly dug patch in my front yard with a rock over it. When I went inside, my fears were realized. Jason was so upset . he even bought a beautiful bouquet of lilies and yellow roses with a plastic sunny face to ease the pain. I was so upset that I ran into the shower and cried for 20 minutes.

I didn't want to make him feel worse than he already did, but I did. I know how much he loved that cat. I was just so upset. What can you do?

I feel a lot better about it today, but now Jason is still sad. I know how guilty he feels. Now I feel bad that I made it worse. I guess only time will ease the pain. He was really an awesome cat. He had such an attitude and cool swirls on the side of his body. NO one could replace Four Socks, or affectionately know as Fat A@%.

No comments: