Friday, October 9, 2009

It All Comes Down to This

Sixteen years ago, on this day, I was baptized. What a crazy life has followed. I can't believe it has been that long. I can seriously remember most of the day as it happened. We were waiting for my grandma to come over to our house so we could ride with her to Lakeland to the assembly hall. She shows up and complains that she couldn't go because she felt sick. My mom was understandably annoyed, since the car we had was held together with duct tape. My mom hates to drive on the interstate and she was disappointed that she had to make the trip with us 3 kids by herself. Looking back, I can't imagine how she did it. She faithfully took us to the meetings and conventions all by herself mostly. A lot of times she did so with us kicking and screaming. I am glad she did. Something must have stuck, because here I am. Still serving Jehovah.

Anyway, back to the story at hand. So we get to the assembly hall. A half an hour after we get there, we see my grandma. She was miraculously healed. My mom was miffed and thought she just didn't want to ride with us or pay for the hotel. Either way, she showed up. So the program starts, and I sit by myself in the baptismal section. I am wearing my wire rim glasses and a electric blue dress with a huge bow in the front. I was sporting bangs at this time. I was such an nerd. Anyway, I thought I looked pretty darn good.

After the program, we go to Shoney's for dinner. We stay at the Red Carpet Inn in Lakeland and get a roll away bed for grandma. The following morning, my grandma complains of sickness and leaves as we are getting ready for the Sunday session. Sigh. Those were the times. My grandma always complained about some sort of sickness, which we always thought it was her excuse to get out of something she didn't want to do. There is probably a lot truth in that. But I do miss her. She died a few months before my wedding.

So, sixteen years later, I am celebrating by seeing U2 for the 3rd time. It will be the first time seeing them with Jason. I am so excited. I've been watching old U2 footage and posting it on Facebook. I am a little bit of a fanatic.

I rescued an orphan kitten this week. It was found at Goodwill next to a dumpster. I thought it would die. He is so sweet and I think someone dumped him there and left him for dead. After I fixed him up, so to speak, he would not quit purring. I think it was his little way of saying thank-you. Looks like my neighbor, Brandy, will be taking him. I am so glad.

No comments: