Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Roses and Orange Blossoms Make Pollen Sort of Worth It, Kinda......

So spring carries on. The allergies are in full effect. My nose feels like falling off every single morning. Hand me the Benadryl, stat. The more I rake in my yard, the more the leaves fall. I feel like I am engaging in what Judith Bissey calls "an exercise of futility." I could spend hours and hours complaining about all the allergy related things about spring. But that would take away from all the wonderful things that are too numerous.

The first thing that I love about this season is the intensity that everything bloomed. That probably explains why there is such an abundance of pollen. The color of the azaleas pops like an Andy Warhol painting, something I haven't seen in a long time. As I drove in service this afternoon, I saw the most beautiful patch of wisteria on a fence. It was the most lovely shade of purple.

The smells of spring are the best. I've discovered that my small puny tea rose bush has a talent that I never noticed before. I've never thought much about this unkempt bush of thorns. The thorns are rough, and it is tucked in a corner in my yard. It has produced buds and small roses for the last two years. They usually died before I could every enjoy or pick them. This year the bush produce 2 or 3 roses at a single time. I picked one the smell it and the odor almost floored me in a good way. The rose smelled like a sweet glass of cabernet savignon. This sad, bent over flower with leaves that folded in seemed less like a loser to me. I've already picked 4 flowers this week. I am going out to the edge of the yard everyday just to see if there are any more of my wine roses:)

No comments: