Wednesday, October 20, 2010

En Vacances Avec La Famille

I spent the weekend at my brother's place in Savannah. Family can be such an adventure sometimes. We get closer to realizing that we are becoming our parents. My brother and dad talked at great length about planes and finances. Two of my favorite topics, of course.

We took a trip the the two Civil War forts just outside the city. I am a sucker for old buildings. I even snacked on the pecans from the tree in the courtyard of Ft. Polaski. I haven't fallen over dead yet, so they must have been okay.

Nate was such a fine host driving us all around town. We ate lunch on Saturday at the Pirate House which is essentially a tourist trap. The secret tunnel is quite a nice touch. I have my doubts that they actually used it to take drunks to the river and ship them off to Australia. But it's a nice story.

I discovered pralines on this last visit. I really wish I hadn't. Anything involving sugar, vanilla, and nuts is a fine treat. I bought 1.5 lbs, mostly as a gift for the Handshews and to share at work. I did do some sampling on the way home. I'm scouring Food Network online for the perfect recipe. They would make excellent gift or party favors for a bridal or baby shower.

No comments: