Sunday, September 21, 2008

Celebrating The House that Ruth Built



Today marks the last game in the old Yankee Stadium. Not to worry kids. A new stadium is popping up next door.

My husband, 2 of his childhood friends, and I went to see the Yankees play the Detroit Tigers in the summer of 2006. This was my first Major League baseball game and my first trip to Yankee stadium in the Bronx. What a lovely time we had. Free beers at the Yankee club across the street. Chicken parm pizza, seeing the green green field of the stadium for the first time. John Corneck once said that feeling must be the closest thing to seeing heaven. It is greener than any green you will ever see. It may be a little over the top to say that, but he is right. I really enjoyed myself, even if the Bronx Bombers didn't win. The Tigers had the best record in the league. It was a great game.

Growing up, I wasn't interested in Baseball. But I always said that if I was, I'd like the Yankees. (Vise A Vi the connection with Seinfeld.) Then, I was introduced to Derek Jeter after his fling with Mariah Carey. I was a sort of un-baseball fan of the Yankees at this time. Then, I learned that the Yankees were my dad's team when he was a kid. He doesn't watch any sports that don't involve rednecks and vehicles. (cough, you know, Nascar.) Then, I married a Yankees fan. Now, I am a fan.

Even though there season is over.(It was a stinker. Too many injuries.) Today, we are celebrating the stadium in all it's glory. No matter the score, Yankee stadium goes down in history.

No comments: