Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Why are we afraid of snakes?

I pondered this question today as I explored my backyard. Yes, I said explored. I know, 1/3 of an acre isn't gianormous but to me it is. I hadn't even gone in the backyard since I moved in. I took the day off from service to get some of my yard work done and send pictures into the insurance company.

So, back to exploring the backyard. Everything was a new discovery. I imagined that there was an old lady who loved to garden that lived in this house. Maybe she was responsible for all the stray cats in the area. They are lonesome without her. She spent a fortune on plants. Some still have the tags on them, just like leaving the tags on clothing. I discovered she planted grapevines, pear trees, tea roses, dogwoods, crape myrtle. Unfortunately, all the plants have been sadly uncared for. I can't tell what is what. The yard has pavers located everywhere in the yard. I think if I find enough of them, I will pave my slab in the back in lieu of resurfacing it.

So back to the question, Why are people so afraid of snakes? I told myself as I cleaned the yard: "I'll stay out here an hour, or until I see my first snake." Well, I was sadly disappointed as I didn't see one snake. Only one ugly lizard and a plastic frog in the front yard. Maybe we all have an innate hatred for snakes because that was the animal the devil used to seduce Eve. That sounds reasonable. But snakes do eat the rats and other pesky rodents so they aren't all bad.

I found so many different types of trash in the yard: tv antenna, a wine jug (not bottle, I said jug) forks, q tips, band aids (ukk!) soy sauce packets, with soy sauce still in it, yah! , a plug and light outlet, a brush, the list goes on and on. So did that sentence. I'm glad my English teacher isn't reading my blog now. Maybe she is. If she is, she's a loser.

No comments: